February 11, 2008

Cruise Control

My friend Kathy W. commented on my last post that she thinks I should try a little cruise control. Well I've tried it, Kathy, and I don't really like it much. I prefer to have both my hands on the wheel and my foot on the gas pedal all the while I drive. Having both feet on the floor makes me feel out of control. Also, I'm a left-footed braker. It's dear ol' dad's fault I'm pretty sure. He was a left-footed braker too and probably suggested, while I had my learner's permit, that it was an efficient way to brake. My friend Barbara (the one who went to Arizona for a man) is also a LFB. We used to discuss this on our expeditions to the discount fabric store and wonder how it could be.

Mr. Gadget, on the other hand, loves cruise control and lists it as his second favorite gadget.... right after the remote control. In fact, he's always trying to sway me over to more modern ways of doing things. But I guess Kathy wasn't talking about that kind of cruise control. So I want to assure her and others that I'll be practicing some of the other kind, and I won't be going on any more cruises....at least not until September....

So Mr. G. and I were out for a stroll along the beach yesterday and crossed paths with a lady walking her little dog in a dog stroller. Mr. G. was quite amazed to see such a gadget and asked politely if he could take a picture. The dog owner graciously agreed to pose for his camera.

Seems she loves to take walks (the lady, that is) and the dog is getting up in years and not able to keep up. She loves to ride in her stroller (the dog, that is), and has apparently learned not to piddle in it. I didn't see any evidence of Doggie Depends, but you never know what could be hiding under that fur. I sent the picture to Big City Girl, who responded that this is the same kind of dog she used to walk for her boss during her college internship in NYC. I think it was referred to as administrative duties and she somehow earned college credit for it.

So today I finished the ladybugs......all 51 of them....and I decided to take a little crochet break before making the last 20 tissue paper flowers. I made a little progress on the ripple afghan. I wanted to make sure my fingers hadn't forgotten how to crochet....what with all the recent insect activity.

It will be my car project this weekend when Mr. G. and I set off on a road trip to northern California....up the Tomato Highway.....a/k/a Interstate 5. On an earlier trip along this route I noticed big red patches on the pavement and was horrified to think it might be evidence of numerous unfortunate accidents. But then I noticed all the tomato trucks. And now I'm thinking about the price of tomatoes in the local grocery store and I'm wondering if I should ask Mr. G. to follow one of those trucks closely while I try to catch a few in a butterfly net.

Oh, and that pink-haired lady at the grocery store who's so chipper all the time? Well, the other day it was particularly warm in the store and she was wearing a short-sleeved t-shirt that revealed two huge multi-colored tattoos. And if that wasn't exciting enough, tonight Mr. G. and I went out to the local Mexican restaurant. Sitting nearby was a woman having dinner with her two young granddaughters. She was wearing a nice v-necked blouse, and just before she got up to leave, she slipped her wallet in the left side of her bra, and her cell phone in the right. Cheaper than breast enhancement surgery I'm pretty sure.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least the dog wasn't in her PURSE! The only time I use cruise control (the car kind) is through a certain speed trap over in Pound Ridge. I got my one and only (bogus) speeding ticket there once and am not taking any chances!

kathy b said...

SO cute PAT! westminster is on for 3 hours tonight. I CALL THE TV. (at my house)