June 03, 2009

Two toad tales

My neighbor over at the old house always offers her warm hospitality to cute little creatures who venture into her yard. We often exchange creature stories. She's heard all of the antics of Bob the chipmunk, and I know how she had to build a second bluebird house because the chickadees moved into the first. Now it seems we each have a resident toad. Go read about hers here.

As Mr. Gadget and I were sweeping around the old front door today, he picked up the conch shell that's been sitting out there greeting visitors for years. A toad jumped out. A hermit toad, I can only assume.
This freeloading toad amused me. You know how easily amused I am. So I decided to decorate his shell....to make it more homey and inviting.See that little dark spot in the middle? It's a break in the shell. It will make a nice picture window, so I painted some shutters on it. Mr. Toad will find it useful for predator sightings....you know, hawks, hedgehogs, or those persistent church ladies who come around with their religious brochures. I'm pretty sure this interesting piece of yard art might attract the right home buyer.

Soon after the toad discovery, I took a flying leap off the front porch. Not on purpose, although Mr. Gadget may have assumed so. Now, wouldn't you know, I'm officially on the disabled list. I'm restricted from doing any annoying tasks over at the house, but I'm free to operate my sewing machine, as long as I don't take any medication that might impair my ability to do so.
I took advantage of this opportunity to sketch up some pattern pieces for my pig doll.
I think these are going to work out well. This pink fabric is much too bright for the pig I have in mind though, but I'm sure they'll have just what I need at the fabric store. It's not like I'm quarantined or anything....
Oh, and today I noticed that my neighbor here at the new place.....the one with whom I've been involved in a frenetic game of front-porch poker.....has made a surprising, yet not totally unexpected, move. She's got skills, I tell ya! This calls for a trip to the basement....

2 comments:

Kathy W said...

Did you fall off the porch???? That hermit frog is a lucky fella to have his own decorator....heeheehee. Glad to see that the front porch competition carries on......looking forward to future pix.
And watch those steps!

Marcia said...

What happened? Hope you are okay, although it doesn't sound too bad if you can drive to the fabric store! Love the toad house! And what's the Porch Lady done now?