August 17, 2020

Two bags and two chickens

A few years ago, before my grey hair, Mr. Gadget and I traveled to Grand Cayman with some friends who had a timeshare there.  Strangely, but apparently not too unusual on tropical islands, there were chickens roaming freely.  I seem to remember a story about hurricane winds scattering cooped-up chickens, and then the nearly impossible task of re-cooping.

So here I was sitting by the pool doing a little chicken embroidery, and someone suggested I show my work to the visiting chicken.  It didn't seem to make an impression though and chicken walked on hoping to find french fries. 

I decided a few days ago to make another bag like the one on the left. I sewed Lefty using some fabric I received as a bonus gift with a magazine subscription.  The bag and I have done lots of traveling. It's just the right size for everything I need.  At some point, after we downsized our home, I downsized my handbag.  I didn't really need all the crap girly necessities I always thought I needed.  I threaded a hook on the strap and sewed a loop to my sunhat so I can carry that along on a hot day.  It holds my mask too.  Who knew?

Righty, still in progress, is being sewn from fabric I found while digging through the strata here in the Treehouse.  It's denim from which I had long ago cut out a jacket, and then promptly lost interest.  But the back piece had enough yardage to allow for the bag.  The pattern is just something I cooked up.  I'll put a dark blue cord strap on it, and a small patch pocket on the lining inside.  I have some blue velcro for the closure--thanks to the combo lunch/velcro shopping trip I made to the big city with Big City Girl.

So, there you have it.  This just goes to show that a person doesn't need anything special to blog about.  Any old thing will do.

No comments: