August 24, 2020

My "knitted" chicken


At one time in my crafting life I did latch hooking.  This involved using a special hook to attach short pieces of yarn to a mesh backing.  I made several rugs this way, and also a couple of wall hangings--one of which was a rooster.  I hung it on a wall in my apartment.

So yesterday I was emailing with an old friend from my working days.  She's also a crafty person and I sent her a picture of my unfinished needle-felted chicken.  She has a good memory and she reminded me of what one of my old boyfriends said when he visited. "Did you knit that chicken?"  We had another good laugh all these years later.  

I knew Mr. Gadget was a keeper when I discovered he knew the difference between rug hooking and knitting.  And also that he would be accepting of my "piles of interest."  Those can usually be found beside each of my chairs and, more often than not, collecting on a floor somewhere.

As I mentioned, this chicken is a needle-felted one.  I'm referring to pictures but otherwise just winging it.  I like the idea of a whimsical chicken in bright colors, so the orange is the base color and others will be added.  I'll have to make some chicken legs and make sure he can stand up.  Or, if that's too challenging he'll be a sitting-down chicken.  Or maybe he'll be a rooster.  My poultry knowledge is limited.  

I do, however, know that these guys are turkeys.  They live next door.  You just never know who's going to move into the neighborhood.

No comments: