June 07, 2020

More patchwork

While Mr. Gadget and I were at the Calcondo earlier this year I made a patchwork jacket.
It was a rather ambitious project I must say. There was a time, many years ago, when I made most of my own clothes. Sometimes I even ventured outside the box and attempted to copy something that had intrigued me. So when I had the idea for the patchwork jacket, I was hopeful my old sewing skills would come back to me.....kind of like riding a bicycle.

It all started with a vision of something in black, white and gray.  It came to me after browsing online to see what other creative jacket makers were doing.  I especially liked Pearl's. So I searched for a pattern and started in...with the idea that this project would be an experiment.  Maybe it would match my vision.  If not, I would tweak it a bit to see if I could beat it into submission. And if nothing came of it, it would go right to the scrap heap.  It certainly wasn't a big investment.  It would be constructed with fabrics from my stash and a few small purchased pieces to complement what I had.

I'm very happy with the result.  It fits well, partly because the front fasteners are only on the top half and allow for plenty of ease over the hips....which is a great benefit for a woman whose hips are from another era.  If I make another one, which I'm already contemplating, I will make it a little longer.  And I might leave off the collar.  Something in dark blues and rust tones might be interesting.  I'm already salivating.  But first, I have to clean my plate.

No comments: