February 26, 2014

Cooking up something new

It's another cloth and clay project.  I thought it would be fun to create something as part of an object I found around the house, and this mug was it.

I made a very simple wire armature and wrapped it first with plastic grocery bags.  The ones I get at the store here (you know, where the firemen shop) are very thin and barely hold the potatoes, but they worked well for my dollmaking purposes and didn't go to waste.  Then  I wrapped some fabric strips (old sheets) around it, but not too carefully.  I was impatient to get to the sculpting.

It's a work-in-progress, and probably won't be finished until I get back to Connecticut.  But in the meantime, it's saving my sanity.  The circus that has been going on in the Calcondo for the almost-seven weeks we've been here has turned my brain into cotton candy.  I'm sure the elephants will be marching through soon.

Tomorrow, however, I'll have a little break from the big top.  I'm going to have breakfast with Arizona Barbara and her boyfriend.  They are visiting from...yep....Arizona.  Long ago I mentioned Barbara, my long-time friend and fellow lover-of-fabric, and told you that she had left California for Arizona and a man.  This is that man.  So I'm looking forward to meeting him so I can see for myself what is so terribly exciting about him....and if she had a good enough reason to go off and leave me to do my fabric shopping all by myself.

No comments: