November 29, 2010

Swivel-free zone

We had a nice Thanksgiving Day here at the complex. (For your info, the complex is what comes before the home. After the home, it's all downhill.) Thanksgiving evening wasn't quite as nice.....due to my slight mishap. But I'll save that story till later.
I've finally found a use for my leftover sock yarn. Sweater ornaments (swornaments?)....and I have enough in my stash to make one for each resident of my town. Not that I'm planning to, but I'm just saying. I found the swornament pattern online here. I'm using #1 sock needles, but I might change to #0's for the ribbing, since I think those stitches should be slightly smaller.

Sock stripes made with self-striping yarn are fairly predictable; itty-bitty sweater stripes are not. That's what makes them so much fun to knit. Tech Guy has been making the itty-bitty hangers. He's quite proficient with needle-nosed plyers.....what with all that tech fiddling he does. I've given him a sizable order--enough hangers for everyone in town. "Hey, Tech Guy! Where are you going? Come back here this minute!"

So, Tech Guy and Big City Girl were here for the holiday weekend and, as usual, they insisted on going out with their old school buddies. The thing is, they don't always remember to lock the front door when they come home, so one of the parents must get up out of bed to check. This time I volunteered.....and as soon as my foot hit the top step I felt it slip and I took a wild slide half a stairway down to the door on my butt. Thank goodness it's a well-padded butt. Otherwise, I would have hurt myself more seriously than just a twisted knee and a chicken-breast-sized bruise on my hind quarters.

I made quite a clatter and everyone came running. I know they must have been worried about who would heat up the Thanksgiving leftovers. Thankfully, there was no need to call 911 because I would have been painfully embarrassed to have outsiders see me in my plaid jammies with the toothpaste stains. I keep hoping one of these days I'll get the hang of my new electric toothbrush.

I'm happy to report I've made a good recovery. I can walk fine and I'm able to climb stairs. I even heated up the leftovers. But it's going to be a while before I can swivel.

2 comments:

Marcia said...

Those are really cute! I think I recognize several of those yarns, too.

Glad your Thanksgiving fall wasn't more serious...you do recall that MY Thanksgiving fall in Baltimore resulted in a trip to Johns Hopkins, a cast, and cancellation of plane tickets to Utah. Not to mention two months upstairs as the Prisoner of Zenda....

Kathy W said...

That beats my faceforward fall off the porch two stairs down--no permanent damage done there and no trip to the hospital either. I'm thankful! Well be careful at all times now! We both have had our warning "fall".

Cute stuff!