November 17, 2010

Wrinkles

I'm very fond of this green VW bus that now sits in a bookcase here in the condo. Tech Guy, who is preparing to move, sent it back to the Parental Basement Storage Facility and I managed to rescue it before it became yet another artifact for a future archeological dig.

This little bus brings back memories of an old boyfriend who used to drive one. Actually, his was a little different. It was a badly-oxidized red and had a front and back seat and an open area in the back like a pick-up truck.

Boyfriend had a big slobbery dog which I wasn't fond of. I'm more of a cat gal, although I can cozy-up to a dog now and then. But never a big slobbery one. This caused quite a dilemma. I was very fond of the guy but I wasn't thrilled with the dog...who would often ride in the car and give it an unpleasant odor. Not to mention, there was always lots of dog hair. Back then--hard as it is to believe--women would actually dress up for a date, so you can imagine what I looked like when we got to wherever it was we were going.

I always hoped that this man would find another home for BSD, and I guess I should be careful what I wish for. It wasn't too long before he got his draft notice and then BSD had to go. And soon both boyfriend and BSD were gone--BSD to a nice home with a big yard and lots of children, and boyfriend to basic training at Ft. Something-er-other in Kansas.

I was thinking of making some little clay people to put in this bus, just for whimsy's sake. And maybe a cat.


So the other day the construction foreman here at the complex flagged Mr. Gadget down as he walked to the mailbox. He said he was sorry about the wrinkles on the side of our unit. We hadn't noticed, but it seems the windows on the new building next door have been reflecting the Fall sun and have wrinkled and bubbled our vinyl siding. So now I'm a born-again sunscreen user. I had no idea. He assured us they'll replace the siding......and I'm just wondering if I can negotiate a deal for my neck and jowls?

1 comment:

Marge Malwitz said...

Marcia-I love reading your posts-they bring smiles into my day. It is so funny how you refer to people-Mr. Gadget etc.