April 25, 2010

Ride biking

Mr. Gadget and I took our bikes to a nearby park yesterday for a little ride. We hadn't been in a while. In addition to getting some exercise, we also got in touch with our inner dorkiness. I thought it might be worthwhile to record the experience, so I took my camera along in my handy little bike bag. I suggested to Mr. G that we stop by some flowering fruit trees so he could take my picture.

"Let's wait till this family goes by," I said, as I noticed a threesome approaching us on the trail. No sense photographing dorkiness with witnesses, I thought. But one of the three must have noticed me getting my camera out of the bag.

"Would you like me to take a picture of both of you?" he asked, before I had a chance to run and hide my dorky self behind the tree.

"Uh, yeah. Sure. "

Afterwards, we continued our ride down the trail, with Mr. G following closely behind me--in case he had to pick up any of my pieces. At one point I almost gave up and pushed my bike off into the woods near a flock of chickens. Yes, chickens. They must have heard about the embroidery.

"I don't think I'm ever going to get the hang of this," I barked at him. "How am I supposed to manage two gearshifts while remembering to brake at the right time and steer in a straight line, all while watching out for oncoming traffic and managing to endure the pain in my butt from this razor-sharp bike seat?"

Mr. Gadget very smartly remained quiet. He probably knew I'd catch on eventually, and it might be best not to offer advice. "Would you like me to take a picture of you with the chickens?" he offered.

So today it's raining and a good opportunity to look over the food quilt to see what's left to do.

I spread the batting over the top to check the fit and noticed enough space left for one more row of squares.
I sure hope there aren't any official quilt rules. I'm just making up my own as I go. As you know, I'm not a big fan of quilting, but it's a lot more fun than running my bike into a hen party, and returning home with a dorky photo and a sore butt.

1 comment:

Marcia said...

Marcia, I'll be back from Baltimore on Wednesday....give me a call about that quilt. There are hard ways to do it and easy ways.....and always leave way more batting around the outside than you think you'll need! I wouldn't add more squares to the front, but you might be able to add them to the backing. As for the excess batting, a lot gets taken up in the quilting and better to have to trim excess than to have no batting under the edges and borders! If you bring it down one day, I'll help you with it. If you're going to do it, might as well do it right!

Good for you on the bike...and I know what you mean about the seat. One ride down the front lawn on my grandson's bike nearly crippled me for a week....