April 23, 2010

Favorite uncle

It may look like I'm planning ahead, but I'm not. If I were planning ahead, I'd have 3 or 4 of these guys on the assembly line. Instead, I'm just making one doll at a time--whatever character strikes me at the moment-- at a leisurely pace with no deadline in mind.

Uncle isn't quite finished, so I've just photographed him from the waist up. He'll need a flag to hold, and some shoes. He was about to choose the clodhoppers, but then reconsidered--just in case he decides to fly somewhere. Maybe he'll opt for a nice pair of red-glittered flip-flops.

So I haven't been much in the mood for doll sewing. It comes and goes. But I have a few cut out, so I'll proceed at the aforementioned leisurely pace. I've been making these beanbag dolls (so named because they have weighted pellets inside for almost limitless posing potential) for about 20 years.

I keep thinking I'll make some different kinds of dolls, but then someone will beg or bribe, I mean ask me to make a pilgrim for their aunt who wants one in the worst way. Or a friend will ask if I could make a polka-dotted cat for her granddaughter's birthday, etc. etc. I'd like to stop, but I hate to disappoint. Plus, I have a big fabric stash. I have to use it up or donate it....or, Heaven forbid....make quilts. That's not gonna happen. I'm a gal who likes a craft that will sit in my lap like a big fat cat. Besides that, I've still got the food quilt stewing....and a soup pot full of guilt to go with it.
I did recently pick up this crocheted afghan again--a project I started some time ago for Big City Girl and her boyfriend. They were sharing an apartment at the time and the colors coordinated with a few pieces of new furniture. Then they broke up and I'm not sure where the furniture went because she didn't want to speak of it, and the afghan went into time-out mode. So when BCG eventually gets married (please BCG, your mom can't handle another break-up from a living-together situation) I'll give her and the hubby the afghan. It should be finished by then. And maybe they'll be able to find some nice furniture that will coordinate without conjuring up painful memories of the relationship gone sour. Then again, maybe I'll just keep the afghan and give them a crockpot.

No comments: