August 02, 2007

Show and Tell

When I was in school, back in the day as they say, we just called it "Sharing." I think that allowed us to just show without having to actually tell much, which was just fine with me because I was extremely shy. If I had to tell about these, of course I would have to say that they are made out of clay and that's why they don't need any food or breathing holes.

This all brings to mind an early story about Tech Guy. When he was about five some neighbor boys were playing in the yard. One of them, a little older than TG, had a jar of ladybugs he'd been collecting. There must have been 100. He was a very nice boy and he let TG hold the jar. Then, one of the even-older boys (and did I mention mean?) whispered to TG that he should let them go.....and he did. I have often wondered if that boy is serving time somewhere.....
Here's a garden pose. I think Tech Guy's suggestion about giving them a little shine was a good one. If only they would eat the pests.

So in my last post I mentioned the doll head I made out of polymer clay. Today I brought it up from the basement to the treehouse, where I had to evict someone to make room (Mr. Snowman was about ready to melt anyway). It's a little scary-looking, but should look much more socially acceptable with some clothes and hair and maybe some eyes.
It's pretty much impossible to decide beforehand what kind of doll to make, although I'm sure dollmakers with lots of experience can do this. It's kind of the same with needle-sculpted cloth dolls. Something emerges near the end of the process and you just have to learn to love it.....unless you want to smush up the whole thing and start over. Potluck was perfectly OK with me. I considered a Red Hat Lady:
But I think it's destined to be a Santa.


It's the nose and the cheeks. And with that mouth, I think Santa will look like he's stiffling a chuckle over some child's humorous gift request. He'll have to bake in a low oven for a little while, which I'm for sure not going to do on a 90-degree day. This will be a winter project....just like the quilt.

So after all of this, I must admit I don't think I'm a clay doll person, although I did enjoy taking the class to learn how. I'm much more of a cloth doll gal. But I won't throw out the clay. I may get in a mood to make more ladybugs. Maybe I'll make a couple hundred and put them in an old mayonnaise jar in the back of my closet. TG and BCG will be scratching their heads long after I'm gone wondering what in the heck I could have been up to. Pardon me while I stiffle a chuckle.......

2 comments:

Jen said...

In college I worked in a big art supply store. I tried many of the crafty items we sold, including sculpty. I made ladybug too! I put magnets on mine and stuck them on the refrigerator. I probably would have done more sculpty, but I don't like the aroma from the oven when you bake it. Good job!

Jen

Conni said...

Oooh, can't wait to see your finished Santa - what a terrific start!!!