May 21, 2018

What's a little wind?

Since the last time I posted we've had a tornado.  And I thought to myself, as I watched the trees leaning sideways and listened to the wind howling, this isn't Kansas....this is Connecticut!

Our condo complex was lucky.  Just a few trees down and others damaged, a couple of fences knocked over, and some flying cupolas.  And no power for two days. Others were not so fortunate.  Apparently, our town (Brookfield) took the brunt of it.

Mr. Gadget, with his fondness for gadgets both big and small, had purchased a portable generator some years back.  I thought he was being silly. After all, we have plenty of flashlights. Little did I know. We were able to power our fridge, hot water heater, and a small microwave oven for several hours a day.  And as a side bonus, we invited our neighbors (the ones who haven't spoken to us in 5+ years) to plug in an extension cord so they could save the contents of their freezer. It kinda broke the ice.....

So now things are getting back to normal and the power all over town is being restored.  It's a beautiful day, and we are very thankful.

In the meantime, I've been working on a fun project.  I saw these bags while I was perusing Pinterest one day and they struck a creative nerve.

I'm using fabric scraps from my stash, and I'm trying to tailor some of the patches to my interests.  I'll make a tote bag one of these days.  Lord knows I need another bag....

No comments: