May 30, 2015

Rummaging

I'm really happy I didn't donate my bright red 100% wool Gap sweater to the thrift shop years ago.
I always loved the color, but the sweater is a little scratchy.  I haven't always made clothing purchases wisely. Now that I'm needle-felting I'm very thankful I've kept this old sweater around. It's about to become a Santa...with plenty left over for one or two more. 

First, I cut a slice out of one sleeve.  Think calamari. Then I drew a pattern for an oval shape that would close up the slice on the larger end.
This was fairly easy because the sweater fabric is stretchy and has some give. Then I cut out a red oval and whip-stitched it to the sleeve tube with red sock yarn (remember the red sweater ornaments?)
 
I put a beanbag (left over from an old craft fair) in the bottom and filled the tube with stuffing.  Next, I threaded some wire (a Mr. Gadget cheap tool store purchase) through the top for bendable arms and gathered the open end of the sleeve tube almost closed.

Then I dove (make that belly-flopped) into my bag of wool roving (gifted to me by other Marcia) and found a nice piece to wrap around the wires.
He has a ways to go to become a Santa, but I'm not in a hurry.  I have other things to work on.  I love to juggle projects.  I also love to rummage.  It's fun to see just what I can come up with using things I have in my stash....which is exactly what I'm planning to do for dinner.

No comments: