May 17, 2015

Knit, purl, pedal

I hate to exercise.  I know there are people who actually enjoy it (Big City Girl who likes to box), and lots of people who don't mind it too much (Mr. Gadget).  

Yesterday I discovered a way to work out that might be a little less annoying.  I found out I can knit while riding a stationary bicycle.  This might just be my greatest discovery since I learned I could sew with two toddlers underfoot by putting my sewing machine on the kitchen counter where I could easily disengage the foot pedal.  I love when this happens.  With enough ingenuity nothing and nobody can ever interfere with my hobbies.

So now I'm working on a new witch....in the Treehouse...by myself...sitting down....with birds chirping outside my windows.
I sketched and cut out a pattern from card stock.  I had to add some length afterwards because I had forgotten to allow for the paper-bag style bottom that will allow her to sit.
I traced around the shape on a double thickness of muslin and stitched it together all around.  I made a small slit in the middle of the back for inserting weighting pellets and then I stuffed it firmly.  I realized, again afterwards, that it needs more weight.  Next time I might plan a bigger bottom.
Then I applied a coat of gesso to the front and sides of the head, and after it dried I added the paperclay and began sculpting the face.  As I've said before, I love making witches because the less perfect the face the better they look.  From a primitive point of view.

While I'm working on her I'll try to think up a good limerick.  Or maybe while I'm biking and knitting I can come up with one.  I'll be so busy I won't even know I'm sweating.

1 comment:

Kathy W. said...

Good idea about combo exercise and hobby! And see that you are well on your way to your next October surprise!!!lol