August 19, 2014

Another owl story

I finished the owl embroidery and have started another.  I have two matching frames on hand, so I really had no choice.
If he looks familiar, you may have seen him on a Kleenex box.

I mentioned in my previous post that I had an owl story that might be a little eerie.  I'll let you be the judge.  Many years ago, long before I met Mr. Gadget, there was another special man in my life.  We had gone to high school together; he was a year ahead of me.  We knew each other but didn't get together romantically till a few years after graduation.  Soon after we got together, he was drafted.  He thought he'd like to learn to fly, so he applied for pilot training and was accepted. He became a helicopter pilot.

Before he went off to war....the first of the many unpopular wars....he gave me a small wooden owl.

Here it is....sitting in my curio thingie looking like it could use a little reconstructive surgery after all these years.

Sadly, that special guy never made it home. So, as you might imagine, the owl became a special treasure.

While I was out at the Calcondo this summer, I got together with my old high school friend, Lydia. We went to a huge store that housed hundreds of flea-market vendors.  As we were walking in from the parking lot, she asked me something about this guy.  She had known him too.  And as soon as we walked into the store and started browsing, the very first display we looked at had one of these same owls.  I've only ever seen two--mine and that one.  Kinda weird, eh? 

So, tomorrow I'm going to Knitters' Heaven with my friend other Marcia (she gave up the blog years ago)Another knitter is going with us--newbie Linda.  This will be her first visit and we've told her to be prepared for the shock of being surrounded by yarn as far as the eye can see.  We're pretty sure she's a kindred spirit because the first words out of her mouth were, "I'd love to go, but I really don't NEED yarn."

No comments: