July 26, 2014

Owling right along

I've made some progress on the owl.
I get easily addicted whenever I start a new embroidery project.  Then I burn out.  Hopefully, I'll finish the owl before there's nothing but embers left.

Here is a close-up of the eye.
I'm suffering from second-eye syndrome.  In the past I've written about second-sock syndrome. It's not terribly exciting to start knitting a second sock immediately after finishing the first.  The same holds true for embroidered owl eyes.  So I'm skipping around, and yes, I'll draw in the top of his head before I'm done.  I just forgot that little detail when I had the fabric taped up on the window.

Today I took a road trip out to Anaheim to my favorite discount fabric store.  I used to go with my friend Barbara, but since she moved to Arizona it's a little too far to pick her up on the way.  It's always more fun to go with a buddy so I asked my high school friend, Lydia, if she'd like to come along and she jumped at the chance.  She'd never been to this store before, and, like me, she's disappointed that local fabric stores have become extinct.  The two of us sewed most of our own clothes back in the day.  I think that activity is pretty far along the road to extinction too.

This particular fabric store has an ever-revolving inventory.  Sometimes the pickings are so-so, and sometimes there are so many wonderful choices I have to hold myself back.  Today was one of those wonderful days.  We each stashed a big bag o' fabric in the back of my car before setting off for home.  We thought briefly of making a stop at Disneyland, but decided against it.  When you're our age, sometimes the happiest place on earth is a discount fabric store.

No comments: