January 14, 2014

When life gives you sewage....

.....I usually start a crochet project.
Mr. Gadget graciously offered to be my model.  The red color reflects my current mood. It's different than the mood I was in when I did the first rendition of this pattern...

...in a nice, soft plum.  I was feeling serene.  For those of you who crochet and might be interested, this is the triangle scarf by Bernat.  The pattern calls for Bernat "Handicrafter" crochet thread, but I worked both scarves in Aunt Lydia's Fashion 3 thread....only because I couldn't find the Bernat thread in my local stores.  One of the nice things about this scarf is it's a stylish, although temporary, solution to a turkey neck.

So Mr. Gadget and I arrived at the Calcondo last Friday morning....after having gotten up at 3 a.m. to drive to JFK in partially blizzard conditions, and then shelling out $20 for the "fast" security line so we'd barely make our flight.

When we walked in the front door we both noticed right away that things didn't smell right.  Mr. G., bless his heart, did the investigating and found that our back bathroom sink was full-to-overflowing with brown water, and the carpeting in the bathroom and much of our master bedroom was squishy.

All this resulted, we later learned, from an incomplete snaking of our upstairs neighbor's sink drain.  From the time of the snaking (just before Christmas) until our own plumber snaked it further on Friday, all of the water she put in her sink emptied into ours.  It actually wasn't sewage, but it might as well have been.

So this was the reason for the visit from our long, lost relatives.  I decided....only just before writing this blog post....to make light of it because sometimes humor helps me deal with the various assaults of life.  Well, that and crocheting.

I've learned in the last few days more of the true meaning of the word "racket".  One comes in the form of a remediation company that tells you...and rather vigorously....exactly what you need to do in a flood situation like this....and you'd better get right on it or you'll be sick.  Another one comes in the form of an airline that most likely tells the TSA they don't need as many security check points open as they used to, and then charges their passengers an extra fee for the "fast" line so they won't miss their flights.  I'm not sure about all this, but you know what they say about ducks....if it looks like a duck and quacks like one, it's probably a duck.

So now Mr. Gadget and I are going over to the farmers market.  It's a beautiful day here and it's going to get up over 80 degrees--which is unseasonably warm.  I guess things could be worse...

1 comment:

Kathy W said...

It was cloudy at the beach. What a mess at the Calcondo. Nice you have crafts to take your mind off that. lOl