November 30, 2012

Wildlife

I know Christmas is just around the corner because I've had my first reindeer sighting.
Reindeer are usually pretty scarce in these parts, but over at the mall there's quite a congregation. That's where I was this morning.

I usually avoid the mall as much as possible, but I decided to look for a Christmas sweater...so I can be a real fashionista for the holidays.  Unfortunately, I came home empty-handed.  Nothing was quite my cup of tea, I mean eggnog.  But I did purchase 4 pairs of Christmas gift socks for nieces and sisters-in-law.

Mr. Gadget and I are leaving town for Christmas and Big City Girl won't be far behind. We'll be spending the holiday with Mr. Gadget's side of the family in northern California. It's all part of our changing-things-up project.  We don't usually give gifts, other than cash ones to the nieces and nephews, but this year, since we'll all be gathered around the Christmas tree, we think a little something for everyone is in order.  And whatever I purchase or create in Connecticut will, of course, have to fit in my 50-pounds-or-less suitcase.  

The knitting is finished on the fringie from whimsy and I'm now happily hooking.  It looks a little pathetic at this stage, but I'm hopeful it will blossom into something wonderful...or at least charming.


I've also re-started the Red Beast, although I know I told you it would be in the back closet till 2016.  I'm using smaller needles this time, and I'm going to keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't get rambunctious. Rambunctious. That sounds like an old-fashioned word. Maybe something my Grandma Ferna would have said.  Like maybe when she was babysitting a gaggle of grandchildren. 

So....while I'm driving around town I tend to notice things.  Like how most of the cars on the road now are neutral colors--black, white, gray, tan, etc.  Red and blue ones have almost become endangered species.  I sometimes wonder why the cops give tickets to people going too fast on the local highway on Sundays, but disregard the Monday to Friday speeding commuters.  And I'm puzzled by why a new frozen yogurt store is about to open down the street when we're approaching the coldest part of the year.  Snow, sleet and freezing rain never stopped me from eating frozen yogurt, but what about the rest of the population....you know, the ones who wind around Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts....in their neutral-colored cars....waiting ever-so-patiently for their steaming cuppa pricy joe. And what about my neighbor who parks in a handicapped spot at the senior center but recently managed quite well to get up on her stepladder in the garage to retrieve something.

Now I'm getting pretty steamed up.  Too bad there's no place nearby where I can get a single serving of frozen yogurt....

2 comments:

Kathy W said...

Cute reindeer in CT. HA Christmas change up sounds like fun! Enjoy. That red beast is a humdinger!

Kathy W said...

PS Marcia, I used your snowy CT. scene on my Facebook page. Hope you do not mind!