November 27, 2012

White stuff

We're getting some light snow here in Connecticut.  It's a great day to stay home and play in the Treehouse.  I had plans to do some much-needed clean-up, but as usually happens I've gotten sidetracked.  It's all my friend Wendy's fault.  She sent me an email and in it she asked if I had seen the new fringy scarves.  Apparently it's something that's trending in the fashion world.  Or not.  Fashion is a subject I'm not well-versed on.  But she's been making them and she mentioned it's a good project for using up fancy yarn scraps.  So I found myself on a two-hour computer tangent looking for fringies as she calls them.  And I found a cute pattern--strictly from whimsy--that I think I'll start.  It's actually a combo of knitting and hooking.  Believe it or not, I used to be a good hooker at one time.  Rugs.  RUGS! 

I made several throw rugs back in the day out of cheap worsted yarn, so they shed and shed and didn't hold up well at all.  But that was when I had concrete block and wood bookcases and paper lanterns and other things you could get on the cheap to furnish early apartments.  I even taught an old boyfriend how to hook a rug, and as soon as he learned the technique he left me for someone else---who, I'm sure, was not in the least bit creative.  But at least he has a cheap, shedding rug to remember me by.

So I ripped out the Red Beast last night while Mr. Gadget was watching a man-movie and I was in the Treehouse watching The Dead Files.  That Amy....she's good at getting evil stuff out of a house.
I'm not too bad at it either.  In no time at all I had him reduced to rubble.
And having all of these balls of yarn on hand motivated me to order myself a ball winder.  It will wind this rubble into neat little balls with flat bottoms so they'll sit nicely on a table instead of rolling all over the floor and me having to chase them.  And while I'm waiting for the winder to arrive, I'm going to start the fringie from whimsy. It's gonna be pretty boring for a day or two while I do the knitting part, but once I get to the hooking.....there's gonna be all kinds of excitement....

1 comment:

Kathy W said...

The snow is pretty. The blog is cute and funny. Looking forward to a picture of the fringie from whimsy!