February 04, 2012

Not just a fashion statement


I always thought persimmon was just a fashion trend. I remember back in my teenage years, when I had a subscription to Seventeen magazine, girls just weren't hip unless they were wearing "in" colors of the season. You know, like quince, fig, avocado, persimmon or eggplant. It was always some sort of produce as I remember. Today's fashionistas have even included a variety of wines. I'm so pleased because I've always looked good in chardonnay.

I never considered persimmons a fruit worth tasting.....until recently. I was in the Asian grocery store the other day and they had a whole pile of persimmons. I decided it was time to try one. Well.....what a tasty treat! The secret to getting the full enjoyment out of a persimmon is to let it ripen in the fruit basket till it's just the consistency of the Pillsbury doughboy. Just pleasingly soft. Then you just cut it into quarters, take the skin off, and enjoy!

Later today another one of Mr. Gadget's brothers is coming to visit. He'll stay through the weekend--long enough to watch the Super Bowl with plenty of time to recuperate. There'll be lots of wine, plenty of snacks--including some quac--and enough testosterone to force me out onto the back patio with my knitting.

So I guess I should go and spiff up the bathroom, corral the dustbunnies, and chill the wine. And hide the persimmons.

No comments: