February 09, 2012

Haute couture

I've been making new clothes for the grandma hangers.
Mr. Gadget is quite taken with the multi-colored one but refuses to use it in his manly closet. This is a great little project for using up sock yarn. Grandma's version was made using crochet thread and triple-crochet stitches; mine is made with sock yarn and single crochet.

While I was working on these I had a grand idea. A couple of my elder friends in Connecticut gave me some sock yarn that they had purchased to knit socks, but then found the smallness of the project too challenging for their not-so-nimble fingers. I really have no need for more hand-knitted socks, so I've decided to make them each a couple of covered hangers using their gifted yarn.

I did a little work today on the paper mache cat. Mostly I poked and pinched and squooshed. I'm not satisfied yet with the shape. I need to look at more cat pictures. Then again, I'm mostly aiming for whimsy.

Here's a picture of my first foray into paper mache.

I think I called him a goonie bird. Believe it or not, this was a college project. I was in my first year at the local community college taking a class called Art for Elementary School Teachers. It was fun making him, but not nearly as fun as carrying him all the way across campus to the parking lot.

No comments: