October 21, 2011

Is the coffee ready?


I decided to make another morning lady. I found some beads at the dollar store that were just the right size for hair rollers. This will save Mr. Gadget from having to cut a small dowel into short pieces and then drilling through the middles. I just glued the end of the hairs to the roller, rolled it up and glued it right to her head....similar to what they do at the hair salon, although I haven't had that done in a long time and they may have changed things since then....

I've been busy in the Treehouse preparing for upcoming craft shows. The old hotel show over Columbus Day weekend turned out to be profitable. I sold six dolls and one painted cat, plus the half-dozen felted flowers I took along this year. I was happy to see that the flowers were well-received--especially since I have many more I'm hoping to sell. It was a nice show, and the organizer always does a great job arranging and displaying the arts and crafts around the hotel. By the way, here's an article that came out in one of the local papers a couple of weeks ago. It tells the story of the renovation efforts.

A few people have asked me about chef Vinny and when I will find out if he's made the cut for publication in Art Doll Quarterly. It's my understanding that no notification will be given. I'll just have to wait and check the magazine when it comes out next February. This is probably very wise of the editors and will save them from having to answer difficult questions, like What do you mean my Vinny wasn't good enough?

Meanwhile, the life-story writing group has lost some steam. Some of the members have dropped away. Maybe they just thought they wanted to write, but then it felt too much like school. On a positive note, one of the members, an elderly lady who came to this country long ago from Armenia, has entertained us with wonderful stories of her past, and I plan to record and transcribe some of them for her. My original idea was to record oral histories, so maybe this will be what I end up doing after all.

So the latest issue of Art Doll Quarterly arrived in my mailbox yesterday, and I read that the next art doll challenge is to create a shelf-sitter doll. Considering the amount of work I put into Vinny for the bottle-doll challenge, I may just let this one pass me by. Then again, it is intriguing. I guess I'll just wait and see if a bright idea bubbles up. I think I'm hearing a little fizzy sound already.

1 comment:

Sue Rose said...

Hi Marcia. Love the morning lady! I've been a long-time reader of your blog. I wondered where in CT you used to live. My daughter and family live in New Milford and she and her husband teach at the Canterbury School. I guess Gaylordsville where your Craft Show was recently is very near New Milford, yes?