October 08, 2011

Doo-dad dealybobs

Today I had a sobering thought. I know there'll come a time when I won't have to look any further than my mirror for a model of a witchy face with wrinkles, bags, age spots and annoying chin hairs.

I'd better call my dentist. I'm overdue. Maybe I can at least save my teeth.

Yesterday Mr. Gadget and I went to the office supply store where I got these neat little dealybobs.

They're about 2 inches square and should hold pretty near all of my doo-dads.

The reason for the trip was to exchange a small tape recorder Mr. Gadget bought me to use in my elder life-story writing workshop. There's an 80-year-old woman in the group who has some wonderful stories to tell, but she's just not up for writing them down, so I've offered to record and transcribe.

Mr. Gadget, who always lives up to his name, got me a fancy digital recorder with all sorts of bells and whistles, and an instruction book that was 145 pages long. I must say I was quite taken by the small size of the device, but when I heard about the how-to book I said, "Stop right there!"

So we took it back and exchanged it for a five-button version: play, stop, fast forward, rewind and pause. And it takes regular ol' cassette tapes. I'll use the 60-minute ones so at the end of an hour I can say, "Time's up....gotta go!" Some older folks have a way of losing track of time. I'd have a hard time sitting there all night like I used to do with my grandpa when he'd get going about his trip to Mexico.

Today we took a drive up to Knitters' Heaven. Mr. Gadget got a new car and wanted to take it for a spin. Yeah, I know. He gets a new car whether he needs one or not. He's a car guy. Just like me with yarn. I'm a yarn gal and I'll buy yarn whether I need it or not---which I did and I don't. But I discovered a feature on Mr. G's new car that I will call The Happy Wife Gadget. It's part of the cruise control and it keeps the car at a safe distance behind the car ahead. It's amazing. No more anxiety medication for me now that we have the HWG!

No comments: