July 22, 2011

AWOL

I'm a bad blogger. I've been playing hooky. Although I did do a blog post a few days ago....only to have half of it deleted before I could publish. In an attempt to fix the wonky spacing issue, I ventured into the land of HTML. I should never have crossed its borders. I don't even have a passport to go there.

I've been very busy during my hookiness. My first priority has been to finish the contest doll so I can deliver it in a timely manner to the people who will judge. Here's a little more info about the contest. It's not really a contest. Art Doll Quarterly magazine has issued a challenge to its readers to create a doll using a bottle, and all entries deemed worthy will be published in the Spring 2012 issue.

I brought my doll along with me to California because the PWWJ are located not too far from the Calcondo and saving the one-way mailing fee seemed like a good idea. I emailed the folks at the magazine to see if they were agreeable to my hand-delivering the doll and they responded that yes, that would certainly be fine, and if schedules permitted someone would give me a tour of their offices. This sounded like a fine offer because these are the people who produce all of the Somerset magazines and I can only imagine the amazing craftiness that is housed there.

My bottle-doll creation is more of an assembly than just a doll. It has some parts that need to be affixed with glue--the proper kind of glue for non-failing stickability. I've selected tomorrow as gluing day and I've instructed Mr. Gadget to have Margueritas at-the-ready in case there's a disaster.

Here is one of the assembly components.


It's a carrot. I don't know if you've ever tried to paint a carrot, but it's not easy. It must be done in stages because there's no way to hang it up to dry.

And while I wait for the paint to dry I've been cutting out felt hearts. I still had red felt left over from the ladybug project and the recent strawberry harvest. I'm probably going a little overboard on all the crafty projects lately, but I gotta say......I've hardly noticed the ants.

1 comment:

Marge Malwitz said...

Oh no the ants are still marching around while your busy crafting!! Hey that ought to be fun going to the magazine headquarters! Painting a carrot...there's more to that story! It's been hot here but the AC is great.