September 09, 2009

Spotted cat in bow tie

For the last few days I've been finishing dolls that have been sitting around half-naked, I mean half-dressed, on my craft table. Only after they're all complete will I start new ones, although my brain is really a-buzzin' with new ideas. I did cut out some Fall cloth napkins today, to hem and then include in the package with the next installment of my niece's story, since her family is the one that prefers cloth over paper and I try to keep them well-supplied. They are the green ones in our clan. While I was cutting it occurred to me that the napkin fabric would make a cute Fall cat. But I will hold myself back, at least until the red hat lady is finished. And the snowman. Maybe.

I'm very happy with my newly-discovered whisker material. Sisal twine. It really makes for springy whiskers. I found a large ball at the dollar store that will outfit at least several dozen flocks of cats, so I've offered to share it with Mr. Gadget in case there are ever any twine needs in his world of gadgets.

I used watercolor pencils for the cat stripes. This is so much easier and faster than painting them on and I like the look. Not too bold. Cats have always been one of my best sellers. I'm sure it's because there are lots of cat people who can't resist a cute kitty! Especially one that doesn't need to eat or use a litter box.

Now I'm considering what kind of seats my dolls should have at the upcoming fair. I don't want to schlep all of my doll chairs along and risk having them lost or broken, or, even worse, sold. I'm thinking of using those construction sono tube thingies. They can be cut to a suitable height, then painted or covered with fabric. Of course, Mr. Gadget will have to help me with this part, since he's the keeper of the gadgets. But I'm getting more and more knowledgeable about the gadget realm all the time. I'm pretty sure this job calls for a saw...


1 comment:

Marcia said...

Love the cat! One of your best yet. As for that saw, anyone who can wrangle a sewing machine or Cuisinart can handle a saw!