September 13, 2007

Haircut with blimp

First, the blimp. Look closely just over the lower right branch near that cluster of leaves the tree-pruning-ax-murderer guy somehow forgot. It's the Goodyear blimp, up for an afternoon spin.

Now, the haircut.

"I wonder when that tree is going to lose its leaves?" asked Mr. Gadget just yesterday.

"It doesn't drop its leaves," I told him. "The maintenance people prune it each fall."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure. I don't remember ever seeing a big pile of leaves under it," I said.

Fast-forward to today.

"Guess what!" said Mr. G as he stood by the window. "The tree is disappearing!"

And sure enough, the yearly pruning had begun. Now we have more light in the condo and visions of the blimp. Yeah, I think my brain is tired. Otherwise, I would see no point in telling this story. It's probably because of this:
I'm still engrossed in my memorial writing project. This is how my writing process works: Type a first draft as fast as I can, putting down whatever comes to mind. Print it out and revise. Print it out and revise again. Repeat those two steps several more times. At some point I get the feeling I'm over the hill and on the home stretch. I do think the finish line is just about visible through the haze.

And doesn't Lucille look pretty sitting among the flowers with the sun shining in ?





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good way to write for your dad! The pruned tree is so SoCal. The gardeners don't bother to shape the trees around here! What do you think of the weather? The sky sure looked blue. Typical LA County Fair weather, huh.

kathy b said...

Lucille is so lovely. Great work.