September 11, 2007

California busy

Now, where was I? Oh yeah. Mr. G was about to close the laptop on my typing fingers. I'm pleased to say that when we arrived at the condo on Saturday, setting up the laptop was the first thing on his agenda....right after turning on the water.
Things have been busy around here as I take care of the last few preparations for dear ol' dad's memorial celebration. And I still have to figure out what I'm going to say, so this blog post will be light on text and heavy on photos....unless I do my usual procrastinating.
Here is one of the vases with tissue paper flowers and a dragonfly securely affixed to a raffia bow. All of the vases will have a dragonfly attached and the extras will sit on the tables among the chocolate hugs and kisses. Not a bad assignment.....
I finished the picture board, with the exception of a few little knick-knacks. I thought it might be interesting to add a few things to fill up some of the spaces between photos. Mr. Gadget was able to assist with one of his favorite gadgets....his electric drill. He drilled small holes so I could attach a slide rule and a little cannister of pencil leads. DOD was an architect, so these were tools of his trade.....way back in the day before computers.

And amid all this busy-ness, I heard the doorbell ring and the mail lady handed me this:Last time I was in SoCal, I entered a contest over at Kathy's blog. She had asked her readers to send her postcards through the summer, and she would have a drawing on Labor Day to pick a winner. I probably wouldn't have entered except I happened to come across a cute card with a picture of a cat sitting in a beach chair....so I figured, why not? Well, darned if I didn't win first place! That's my loot up there. While I'm pleased as punch to have the yarn, I have to say that Homer Simpson has had Mr. G and I laughing to the point of stomach cramps. He's designed to ride on the car dashboard and make traffic comments--either from the car motion (I can only imagine how he must have behaved in the mail truck), or you can push a button to hear him yell a variety of snide comments,

"Your child might be an honor student, but you're a moron!"

"Red light turn green....now! Now! Right now! Hey, it worked!"

"Quit your waving! I'll move out of the intersection when I'm darn well ready, officer!"

I think I'm going to have to hide it from TG and BCG. They'll be arriving Friday and will surely try to find a way to wrangle it away from me. Maybe I'll stick it behind the cleaning supplies. It's sure to be safe there.....

And did I mention, there's some therapeutic sock knitting going on too?

Oh, and before you go, check out my Connecticut neighbor Jen's blog. She won some serious ribbons for her veggies, spaghetti sauce and cookies at the fair. In fact, a local restaurant bought the last of her tomato crop. She calls her earnings seed money....heh...heh....

It can't possibly be as exciting as yarn money though.......




1 comment:

kathy b said...

I am so thrilled you liked the prizes. Wasn't quite sure who would appreciate HOmer's humor. Looks like my hunch was right on. I think he is hysterical too.

Enjoy the koigu!!!!