October 17, 2016

Metamorphosis

The big orange something has morphed into another Santa.  He isn't finished obviously. He's faceless and has that painful needle stuck in his chest. So, you're probably wondering why he isn't orange, right?

None of my Santas are red through and through.  Sometimes I start with fiber I have on hand that isn't Grade A.  Sometimes it even has bits of the barnyard in it. It's less expensive than the nicer quality colored fiber, so I use it to bulk him up.  Then I do the final layer with Grade A.

I may have mentioned that I taught myself to needle felt.  And I've probably learned the most from my mistakes, and from trial and error.

I had lunch the other day with a friend and former neighbor.  She was wearing a beautiful cardigan sweater she had just finished knitting.  She has made amazing progress with her knitting in a short period of time.  New knitters today have a real advantage with the large number of teaching videos online. The same can be said for needle-felters. When I learned to knit I had to ask my mom for help, and she was just slightly more advanced than me.  The only other option was to return to the yarn store and ask the owner for help.

On another subject, the old hotel show was this past weekend and I did very well.  All of my needle-felted items sold.  I'm a happy crafty lady. That just means I made enough money to buy more fiber.

No comments: