March 27, 2015

A good time for chipmunking

You may remember a word I used a few years ago to describe how I go about approaching certain projects. Chipmunking.  I don't think you'll find it in the dictionary.  I mentioned it here along with some other terms I may, or may not, have invented.  Chipmunking is a behavior I adopted after observing a backyard chipmunk visitor.  He used to circle repeatedly....sometimes till he was silly dizzy....around a dish of sunflower seeds before homing in on it for a big feast.

Today I put several unfinished projects in the middle of the Treehouse floor and began circling.  I stopped short of the silly dizzy part (that's my normal demeanor) and homed in on this scarf.  I know it looks finished, but it's not. I think it needs a little more fluff.
Here's how I'm making it. With yarn I crocheted a long strip--as long as I wanted the scarf.  Then, on the right side I used the crochet hook to attach strips of yarn.  Think of rug hooking.  The yarn is lots of colors and textures from my stash. I thought it might result in a dent in my stash, but it just made a little dimple.

Soon I'll be circling again.  I have lots of unfinished stuff.  That little chipmunk was almost like a member of the family.  We named him Bob.  One time Tech Guy was staying at the house while we were gone for a couple of weeks--you know, to keep the house safe.  He invited Bob inside to join him for dinner.  I guess it's a good thing we didn't stay away longer.  We might have come home to deer, foxes, squirrels and a gaggle of turkeys sitting around having a few beers.

No comments: