April 24, 2014

Poking right along

I decided it might be a good idea to finish something, rather than always starting something new.  So I'm in the process of completing a couple of needle-felted witches for the fall craft fair.  Maybe the collector who bought my needle-felted Santa last Christmas will be inclined to start a collection of witches.
So, Mr. Gadget and I were recently discussing the fact that there are teachers of various things aboard cruise ships and maybe I could approach a cruise company about teaching one of my various crafts and we could save on our, I mean his, bar bill. I had needle-felting in mind, since I had many inquiries from shipmates about what I was doing.  

One of those inquiries came from a woman who lives not far from the Calcondo. She wanted me to teach her during our recent summer stay, and I offered to do it for free because I wanted to see if I had enough know-how to actually teach it to someone, and then I conveniently lost her phone number after she asked to buy one of my santa ornaments, and when I met up with her later to deliver the goods she tried to bargain with me like I was a street vendor.

I think I would enjoy teaching something crafty on a cruise ship especially if there were benefits involved. But it did occur to me that there could likely be a lawsuit if a newbie needle felter happened to stab themselves with the needle. It's gonna happen. I've bled a few times on my work.  I just call those added features design elements, but I'm sure not all beginning felters would see it that way. Some might expect to be evacuated by helicopter to the nearest hospital with a trauma center.  It could happen.

So I think I'll just stick to my deck chair and forget the whole thing.  I guess I could teach knitting, but then I'd have to worry about those sharp pointy knitting needles....and the threat of impalement...

No comments: