November 14, 2013

Peddling as fast as I can

On our stateroom TV there is a channel devoted to info about our voyage.  This includes outside temperatures, sea temps, state of the sea, miles traveled since leaving L.A. and miles left to go.  In the beginning it was interesting and informative, and now it's just downright depressing. 

Something surprising has happened.  My knitting-group friends have been watching me work on the needle-felted ornaments and several have asked to buy one.  I sold one yesterday and am now pushing to get two more done.  I suppose it's inappropriate to do this on a cruise ship--what with all the expensive junk, I mean trinkets, they sell in the shops.  So I'm keeping it low-key and transacting business in a whisper. 

How do people occupy themselves on a ship for 8 sea days you might be asking?  Many read.  Some knit or stitch.  There are a few who play cards.  Others make round trips to the buffet.  Sudoku (is that how you spell it?) is very popular, although I can't imagine why.  But then, I'm not a math person.  And don't forget the ones who take long naps.  There's no way NOT to take a nap on a rocking ship.  Mr. Gadget and I should have lots of sleep in the bank by the time we get home.

So the countdown now says we have 1,000 miles to go.  The weather is getting cooler and people are leaving their pool loungers for the warmer areas inside.  One of my favorite activites toward the end of a cruise is something called the Scrapheap Challenge.  Passengers, usually men, spend time during the trip building little boats out of recycled objects. Then, at a specified time, they put them in the pool.  The boats must all carry cargo of some kind and they have to float across the length of the pool. Some of these crafts are quite ornate.  Some of the boat builders take this challenge very seriously and are extremely disappointed if they lose.  They're almost as bad as the trivia players. And don't even get me started on the Bingo women.

I'll write More later.  It's bedtime.  All this relaxing is exhausting.

1 comment:

Kathy W said...

Hahaha!