November 09, 2013

Heading back to housework

We left Papeete 2 days ago and are now heading back to L.A.  Once the cruise is completed we will have sailed just under 10,000 miles.  We've been very lucky with good weather and smooth seas most of the way, although today we're rolling around. We're old seasoned sailors by now though so the movement isn't bothering us.

There are lots of activities planned each sea day, but Mr. Gadget and I only partake of a few.  He goes to an occasional lecture, and I go to the knitting group.  He exercises and I don't....well, except for my fingers.  I'm saving that up till I get back.  That and the diet.  28 days at sea wreaks havoc on anything resembling a food plan.

There are lots of interesting passengers onboard. With 3,000 passengers there's bound to be a few memorable ones.  Our favorites are the twins--sisters who are traveling together with their respective husbands.  They're senior citizens, both on the chubby side, and they have matching everything....including hair styles, although calling them hair styles is a stretch. Picture platinum blonde with some of it hanging part way down their backs and the rest piled up on top of their heads in a big pouffy bouffant arrangement....with bling attached. They always wear black, with lots of lace, and even more bling.  Neither needed to pack a Halloween costume.  They just went to the party as themselves.  Around the ship they're known as "The Girls."

Since this is such a long cruise, the majority of the passengers are like us--retired. There are many who use walkers, scooters, and canes.  There are some who probably shouldn't have embarked on this cruise, but maybe Tahiti was on their bucket lists.  Rumor has it that 2 people have broken their hips while onboard, and now that the sea is rolling there may  be more before we get back on land next Saturday.

And speaking of bucket lists, I heard a good one the other day.  It's another kind of list.  You replace the "b" with another letter in the alphabet and it then becomes a list of stuff you'll never do again before you die.  I have two things on mine:  eating liver and parallel parking.

So I guess I should see if this post will publish before the ship lurches and I fall over on the delete key.

1 comment:

Kathy W said...

Oh my goodness....cruising with the girls and 3000 others mostly retired has to fun! And that new list is something else again. LOL! I love liver and onions. I hate parallel parking--so that goes on my f.list. LOL Thanks for the cruise diary. I enjoy cruising vicariously. And maybe some day for reals! That is on my bucket list. PS the release from housework alone would make it worthwhile!!!!