January 17, 2013

It's a little like wallpaper...

...like when you decide to put a nice tropical stripe
on  your kitchen walls
and add a palm-tree border around the ceiling--
or some stenciling.
Then, a few years later,
after you've tired of the stripe,
you add a little sponge painting
and some sparkles.
Sometimes you do it yourself--
and risk a messy divorce--
and sometimes you hire someone else
to do it for you.
At some point you decide to sell the place
and you realize your walls are
hopelessly out-of-date.
So you begin peeling the layers off
and you can't believe what's underneath.
And you wonder why you went through
all that effort all those years
trying to keep up with styles
and what was trending now.
Maybe you should have just washed those walls
and put a little mousse on them now and then.
Today Clara, my Cali hairdresser,
cut my hair.
She said I'm 98% of the way
to my natural color--which, to my surprise,
is salt and pepper,
with more pepper than salt.
I'm quite pleased with the renovation
and I'm happy to say
my wallpapering days are over.

1 comment:

Kathy W said...

Nice--one less "chore" to remember. I only dyed once or twice and already I started to lose some of my hair so I stopped and now I'm a little bit beyond salt and pepper and getting into my pewter period. Enjoy getting haircut and styled but maybe no more dye jobs....seems like that dye job took a heck of a lot of time the way the Supercuts people did that. Not that money would stop me but leaving the natural color is cheaper too.