September 23, 2010

Pumpkin patch

Overheard at Michael's today:

Clerk #1 to clerk #2: "My son got a 90 on his first college Anthropology test."

Clerk #2: "Wow! That's great!"

Clerk #1: "That's the study of the brain you know."

I'm thinking mom didn't go to that college.

So, I've noticed more pumpkins popping up on porches around the condos. I have mine nicely in place beside the front door, with a rusty-colored chrysanthemum sitting nearby. And, of course, my colorful Fall wreath. I've followed standard decorating procedures. Maybe I need to get one of those scarecrows on a stake to round out my decor. Then I can check all of the Fall necessities off my list.

I've been making little fabric pumpkins in the Treehouse. These are intended to go with the pilgrim dolls, since they are a whole lotta brown and could use a little color. To make them, I traced around a salad plate on orange fabric, cut it out, and ran a gathering stitch around the edge of the circle. Then I gathered it up slightly and stuffed it. Next, I tightened up the gathering leaving just enough space to slip a cinnamon stick in. You could also use a twig from the yard. Then I tied some green raffia around the stem. You could also use a small torn strip of green fabric. I might make a collection of these to put in a basket for the table, or to line up along the mantel. Some nice pumpkin-spiced potpourri could also be included in the stuffing.

And speaking of things Fall-like, Big City Girl sent us a handmade Fall card.

She's very artistic and very thoughtful .....not to mention, very smart. She majored in Anthropology you know.

1 comment:

Kathy W. said...

The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree! Like Mother like Daughter!
Brookfield Sewer???? hahahaha!