December 08, 2014

A stringy thingy

I'm off on another needle-felting tangent. The ideas are never-ending.  The other evening I was just wasting time, I mean doing some important yarny research on Ravelry--that fabulous website that sucks me in and eats up my whole day--when I discovered a pattern for a string of knitted Christmas lights.  I thought they were so clever that I mentioned them to Mr. Gadget (I politely waited till an exciting football play was over).  "I'll bet you could needle-felt them," he said.

"Why yes I could!" I exclaimed.  I was gobsmacked by this great crafty idea coming out of his non-crafty head.  I ran to get my felting supplies. 

A dozen lights on a string will be just about right.  I could string them along the mantel, or even wear them as a necklace. 

So it was a busy weekend with me doing a volunteer stint at the senior center holiday bazaar and then our annual condo party (to which I took an appetizer that was a complete bust), and a Sunday dinner out with our cruising friends.  I gave my friend, Jane, a witch for Christmas. I know witches aren't at all Christmasy, but Jane was overjoyed.  It was one she had admired just before I drove the whole coven up to the October craft fair. 

As luck would have it, only this particular witch didn't sell, so I decided to gift it to Jane.  I had to be very tactful though.  I didn't want her to think this witch was a reject--a real undesirable that no one else wanted.  So I told her she had been hiding out at the old hotel and saving herself.  Jane was very pleased.
So now I'm done with crafts for the year.  Well, except for the can't-say-no sweater ornaments.  Someone saw the ones I donated to the senior center and chased me down to ask if I had any more at home. "Well, I might," I told them.  "Let me check and I'll call you back." 

No comments: