April 14, 2015

Cucumbers

I've been knitting leg warmers for Big City Girl. 
She tells me there's no hurry....now that the weather is Springy....which will be followed by Summery....and then the hot, steamy, unbearable east-coast weather that precedes Fall.  And if next winter is anything like this last one, she'll need leg warmers for her leg warmers.
Here's a close-up of the stitch pattern.  It looks difficult but it's not.  The pattern is free from Ravelry (for all you knitters out there).  It's called Spiral Rib Leg Warmers (by The Purl Bee) and I used Cascade 220 superwash yarn.

So Mr. Gadget and I took a walk in the park yesterday.  As I've mentioned before, the park is a repository for some wonderful craft supplies.  While we walked, my eyes were focused on the grounds around us so as not to miss any special treasures. 

Along the way I noticed a big branch that had fallen from a tree. It definitely had possibilities, but it was much too big to carry and way too long to fit in the car.  I decided to ask Mr. Gadget for his opinion.

"I've been thinking about what to use as a base for my needle-felted witches," I said. "Round wooden circle thingies would work great. Do you have a saw that would cut something like that?"

"What exactly do you mean by circle thingies? he asked.  I should have known that a woodworking man wouldn't understand all of the terms used by a crafty woman.

"A slice," I said.  "Could you slice a tree branch up like a cucumber?"

"Yes," he said.  "I have a saw that will do that."

So I showed him the branch I'd zeroed in on and he walked into the woods to look it over.  He stomped on it to see if he could break a piece off.  No luck.  "Next time we come here I'll bring my saw."

I thought it would be a good idea to check the list of prohibited items posted near the park entrance.  Saws could very well be on it.  They aren't something you'd bring to a picnic or a baseball game.  Therefore, we'd have to be discreet.  I might have to bring my really big knitting bag. I could visualize a scenario.

"No,"  I'd tell the officer with his menacing look and his hand on his gun.  "We didn't mean any harm.  My husband was just planning to cut me a few circle thingies.  Honest."






No comments: