April 13, 2014

Breaking the rules

After several attempts, I think I've hit on the right painting formula for my little clay birds.  Watercolors.  I'm sure watercolor artists would cringe at the thought of using these paints on clay, but I'm OK with that. Here he is before painting.
I wasn't happy with the bold color of the acrylic craft paints.  I had something more subtle in mind.  And I wanted to be able to have one color gently blend into another. This bird is mostly blue, but he has a blue-green head....which is not obvious in this picture.  I have a whole tray of cheap watercolor paints with many color options, so I'm visualizing a big flock of multi-colored birds.  But, of course, I have to finish up in the Witchworks first.  Or not.

Now it occurs to me that I may have too many witches for the October craft fair.  I'm pretty sure it's possible to over-witch.  Maybe I should slow down.  I could start in on the birds and work until I get just to the point of over-birding, and then I could switch to Santas.  You can probably guess where this is going.  But it's all much better than over-eating.....a skill that I've pretty well perfected.

No comments: