September 02, 2009

The secrets to a happy marriage

When Mr. Gadget and I first came to look at this condo development we were told there was a river and a nature trail behind the property, as well as a launching area for canoes. Since we don't own a canoe, this particular feature wasn't appealing to us, and if we were ever tempted to purchase one we would only have to remember the Great Truckee River Rafting Disaster of '91. I'd relate the details here if it hadn't been one of those especially painful life events that is really best not revisited.
We are, however, fans of nature trails, and today we finally got around to visiting that.
The path started out nice and wide. "We coulda driven," I remarked to Mr. G.
"This is pretty boring so far," I said. " I'll bet there are lots of ticks out here. I hope we don't get lost. Maybe we should have dropped a few bread crumbs along the way."
"I guess there could be snakes," said Mr. G. He's always thinking of me.
Things soon took a turn for the better however. "Wow!" I exclaimed. "Can you believe this is our backyard? It's so much more beautiful than the one at our old house, even without the gazebo."
Mr. Gadget walked out on the rocks and proclaimed himself king of the river. It's called the Still River. I'm not sure how the name came about. Maybe it's mostly still, or maybe it's still here after all these years.
It certainly looks like an ideal spot to paddle a canoe on a nice sunny day, doesn't it? One could sit out there in a canoe and ponder the meaning of life....kinda like Thoreau at Walden Pond. But Mr. G and I are not even tempted. That's because we know that in order for our marriage to remain healthy and strong for years to come, we should: 1) never again do any wallpapering, and 2) stay out of small floaty things.

2 comments:

Marcia said...

What a great back yard! (Kayaks are more fun than canoes!)

Kathy W said...

How super!