March 21, 2006

Drawing knitters knitting socks

Today's drawing is compliments of Tech Guy, who has been having fun with his new birthday present.....a digital drawing tablet. He loves to draw, but says he finds it difficult to come up with ideas. I have millions of ideas. Maybe I'll hire him as blog illustrator. I'm totally impressed with anyone who can use the computer to draw pictures, color and shade them, include shadows, have a nice clean background........ and put a kitty in there too! It's mind-boggling.

But I remember when I decided I wanted to learn to knit socks. Trying to hold 4 double-pointed needles in my hands, all at the same time, was mind-boggling too. I persisted though, and after about a dozen pair, I finally had two socks that looked pretty good. And even the first 11 pair were wearable, since mistakes in socks, unlike in sweaters, are easily hidden inside shoes.

The addiction to sock knitting usually begins right away. I'm not sure why that is exactly, but most everyone who knits socks becomes hooked. It may be because they're such a small, portable project. You can take them with you and knit whenever you have a few minutes.....while waiting for an oil change, during your kid's socker practice (or at the game, as long as you're discreet!), while waiting for a red light (only in California, where you might also have time to read the newspaper) or even in line at the bank.

Another reason they're addictive could be because there are so many new and wonderful sock yarns to choose from, and in every color and stripe pattern imaginable. It's easy to gather a stash. Just as soon as you fall in love with a couple of skeins, you find other skeins you love even more. Before you know it, your husband is asking, "Are you knitting another pair of socks?"

I've never knit a pair of socks for hubby. He prefers store-bought. Or, at least he thinks he does. I hear tell that once a husband has worn a pair of hand knit socks, he's hooked too. I don't think I'll be able to convert mine though. I think it's kind of like peanut butter. He doesn't like peanut butter. He's never eaten peanut butter. And why should he try something he doesn't think he'd like?

That's ok with me. I love hand knit socks. And if I'm going to outlive my stash, I'd better get back to my knitting.......

No comments: