January 23, 2006

Winter Knitting



Here's what I've been knitting this winter, and from the looks of things I've got one cold foot! Luckily I have a stash of knitted socks, because as every sock knitter knows, sock knitting is ADDICTIVE!

I made the mittens first as a gift for my daughter, but she left home for the big city and forgot them....so I guess they're mine, for now. Then I made the sock. For my non-knitting friends: Don't be too impressed. The yarn is smart and the stripes appear as if by magic! After that, Second Sock Syndrome set in (where you just can't muster up the courage to knit another one just like it right away.)

The scarf seemed like just the right project to fill the gap. Mindless knitting....garter stitch....big needles....watch women's basketball on TV...stop to put wash in dryer....knit til the yarn runs out...done! After that, you're ready to think about knitting that second sock. You're ready to tackle heel turns, gussets and kitchner stitch again (knitter mumbo jumbo). Big city daughter likes hand-knit socks by the way, and the more the merrier. The laundromat is five flights down.

So now I've decided I should learn how to spin my own yarn and find out what all the hoopla is about among my yarn-loving friends. My friend Marcia has offered to teach me. Keep this quiet though. If I like it, I may be asking hubby to build a pen for my sheep!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh ha ha ha ha! Another knitter headed for the dark side!!! Spinning is great fun. Serious pride in announcing you not only knit the item, but spun the yarn and raised the fiber, too.

Anonymous said...

Or rabbits or alpacas, or, how about cashmere goats?! Anyway, I have a cure for SSS....don't finish the first sock until you have started the second. Do the cuff of one, then knit the other one on another set of needles to the same point. Do one heel, then the other. It really makes a difference!